When planning a trip out of town, bed bugs are probably the last thing on your mind. However, considering the rising instances of infestations linked to travel in recent years, it’s wise to take some precautions to avoid accidentally carrying these pests home. Stay a step ahead and learn how to prevent bed bugs while traveling using these tips from Bug Express.
Why Are Bed Bugs Common After Traveling?
Bed bugs are a common problem for travelers, and they’re not just found in cheap places to stay. Thanks to their small size, they can hop into your bags or clothes without you knowing and end up in high-end hotels or rentals. Because lots of people travel to different spots like airports and hotels, bed bugs can easily tag along and spread from one place to another.
How to Avoid Bed Bugs
By being a bit cautious and knowing what to look out for, you can significantly reduce the chances of accidentally picking up bed bugs while traveling. Some of the best bed bug prevention tips include:
- Using hard-backed luggage: Bed bugs are more likely to hitch a ride on fabric, so using suitcases with a hard casing can reduce your chances of picking up these pests.
- Wrapping your clothing in plastic bags: In addition to using a hard-backed suitcase, you can wrap your clothing or other fabric belongings in plastic bags to make it more difficult for bed bugs to infest your luggage.
- Inspecting the hotel room: Before relaxing in your hotel room, take a few minutes to look around for signs of bed bugs. Check the sheets, carpet, or other upholstered items for insects, dark red splotches, or light-colored eggs.
- Using the luggage rack: Especially if the hotel room has carpeted flooring, store your suitcase off the ground. If the hotel doesn’t have a luggage rack, keep your belongings on the top of a dresser to avoid contact with the carpet.
- Washing your clothes when you get home: Before bringing your suitcase inside, check it carefully for bed bugs or vacuum it. Then, wash all of your clothes – whether they’ve been worn or not – on high heat.
Need an Estimate for Bed Bug Removal?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
What to Do If You Have Bed Bugs
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, bed bugs might still find their way into our homes. If you suspect you’ve brought bed bugs home, it’s important to act quickly; these pests can multiply rapidly, and the longer you wait to treat the infestation, the harder it will be to get rid of. While there are DIY methods and home remedies touted online, seeking professional help for bed bug control is the most effective route to tackle an infestation.
If you have bed bugs and need a fast solution, you can count on the experts at Bug Express. Since 2003, we’ve been providing affordable and reliable pest control solutions to homeowners across San Angelo. Our licensed professionals will get rid of your bed bugs in no time and return your peace of mind. To get started, just give us a call!
Prevent Bed Bugs in San Angelo, TX
Serving San Angelo, Big Spring, and surrounding areas.